The Supreme Court A to Z offers accessible information about the Supreme Court, including its history, traditions, organization, dynamics, and personalities. The entries in The Supreme Court A to Z are arranged alphabetically and are extensively cross-referenced to related information. This volume also has a detailed index, reference materials on Supreme Court nominations, a seat chart of the justices, the U.S. Constitution, online sources of decisions, and a bibliography to help simplify research.
The fifth edition of The Supreme Court A to Z has been thoroughly updated to incorporate coverage of significant new cases and recent changes on the bench and includes more than 350 alphabetized entries. Presented in an engaging reader-friendly design, this edition includes:
- Biographies of recently appointed Associate Justices Elena Kagan and Sonia Sotomayor, plus revised biographies for recently retired Associate Justices David Souter and John Paul Stevens
- Updated entries on key issues and concepts, including abortion, campaigns and elections, civil rights, class action, due process, freedom of the press, reapportionment and redistricting, school desegregation, and war powers
- A new entry on media and the Court, which highlights the Court's online presence
- New feature boxes on 2011 decisions
- Updated seat charts of the justices, online sources for finding decisions, and a selected bibliography
- An appendix with historic milestones of the Court
The Supreme Court A to Z is part of CQ Press’s five-volume American Government A to Z series. The series is useful to anyone who has an interest in national government and politics.