No other resource matches the timely, thorough, and accurate political information provided by the best-selling Political Handbook of the World. With more in-depth coverage of current political controversies than any other reference guide, Political Handbook of the World 2012 is the most authoritative source for finding complete facts and analysis on each country’s governmental and political makeup. Featuring 200 entries on countries and territories throughout the world, this volume is renowned for its extensive coverage of all major and minor political parties and groups in each political system. It also provides names of key ambassadors and international memberships of each country, plus detailed profiles of more than 30 intergovernmental organizations and UN agencies.
This comprehensive, one-volume source for political information has been updated to include coverage of current events, issues, crises, and controversies, including:
- The secession of South Sudan following an independence referendum in January
- The election of Yingluck Shinawatra, the first female prime minister of Thailand
- The Arab Spring protests and revolutions across the Middle East and North Africa, which led to the toppling of the Qadhafi government and regime change following civil war in Libya as well as the resignation of longtime Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak
- The hotly contested elections in Haiti
- The devastating earthquake in Japan following a tsunami
- The Conservative majority win in the Canadian general elections