Politics in the American States: A Comparative Analysis, 10th Edition
Fully updated—and with new coeditor Thad Kousser—the tenth edition brings together the high caliber research you expect from this trusted text, with comprehensive and comparative analysis of the fifty states. Students will appreciate the book’s glossary, the fully up-todate tables and figures, and the maps showcasing comparative data. A companion website includes downloadable graphics and data.
Formats Available from CQ Press
New to this Edition
Fully updated, with three new chapters:
9th Edition ©2008
8th Edition ©2004
7th Edition ©1999
CQ Press is pleased to comply with the Higher Education Opportunity Act. Please email [email protected] for additional information that may be available. Be sure to include your name, contact information, academic affiliation, and the title, author, and edition of the book in question.
Contact us at [email protected] if we may assist you in your book selection or if you have feedback to share. Thank you for your consideration of CQ Press books.
CQ Press, a Division of SAGE Publications, Inc.
2300 N Street, NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20037
Table of Contents
2. Intergovernmental Relations, Russell L. Hanson
3. Parties and Elections, Thomas M. Holbrook and Raymond J. La Raja
4. Interest Groups in the States, Anthony J. Nownes and Adam Newmark
5. The Initiative Process, Shaun Bowler and Todd Donovan
6. Legislative Politics in the States, Keith E. Hamm and Gary F. Moncrief
7. Governors and the Executive Branch, Margaret Ferguson
8. State Courts: Politics and the Judicial Process, Melinda Gann Hall
9. State Corrections Policy, John Wooldredge
10. Fiscal Policy in the American States, Robert C. Lowry
11. State Health and Welfare Programs, Mark Carl Rom
12. The Politics of Education, Michael B. Berkman and Eric Plutzer
13. NEW! The Politics of Higher Education, Robert C. Lowry and Alisa Hickin Fryar
14. NEW! Public Opinion and Morality, Justin Phillips
15. NEW! Environmental Policy, David M. Konisky and Neal D. Woods
16. Economic Development and Infrastructure Policy, Martin Saiz and Susan E. Clarke
Virginia Gray, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Virginia Gray is the Robert Watson Winston Distinguished Professor of Political Science at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She teaches and does research on state politics, public policy, and interest groups. She has published numerous articles and books on these topics, including The Population Ecology of Interest Representation (with David Lowery) and Minnesota Politics and Government (with Daniel Elazar and Wyman Spano). In 2007, Gray received the APSA State Politics and Policy Career Achievement Award, which is awarded every two years to a political scientist who has made a significant lifetime contribution to the study of politics and public policy in the American states.
Russell L. Hanson, Indiana University
Russell L. Hanson is professor of political science at Indiana University, Bloomington, where he has taught since 1980. He is interested in federalism and American political development, and has published several articles on political culture and policymaking in the states. Among the books he has edited are Governing Partners: State-Local Relations in the United States and Reconsidering the Democratic Public (with George Marcus).
Thad Kousser, University of California, San DiegoThad Kousser is associate professor of political science at the University of California, San Diego and director of the California Constitutional Reform Project at Stanford University’s Lane Center for the West. He has served as a legislative aide in the California, New Mexico, and United States Senates. He is the author of Term Limits and the Dismantling of State Legislative Professionalism, which won the APSA Legislative Studies Section’s Alan Rosenthal Prize, and the co-editor of The New Political Geography of California, 10th edition. He is also co-author (with Samuel Kernell and Gary C. Jacobson) of The Logic of American Politics, 5th edition. He has been awarded the UCSD Academic Senate’s Distinguished Teaching Award, and serves as co-editor of the journal State Politics and Policy Quarterly.
Instructor’s resources include downloadable graphics and datasets.
This book is now available on CourseSmart! Click the link for more information.